Aug 18, 2020 | Atlanta, GA
The City of Atlanta Department of Watershed Management (DWM) is continuing emergency work to repair the broken 30" main at Hemphill Avenue and Ferst Drive. Worked paused during move-in, and DWM expects to have the latest work completed this week. The plan is to reconnect campus buildings to a newer water main and eventually abandon the 30" main, given its age and recurring issues.
Affected Roads (see map):
- Hemphill Avenue is closed to all inbound (southbound) traffic from 10th Street.
- Hemphill Avenue is closed in both directions between Ferst Drive and 8th Street.
- Outbound (northbound) traffic is permitted from 8th to 10th Street.
- 9th Street is closed from Hemphill Avenue to Curran Street.
- McMillan Street is closed between 9th and 8th Streets.
- DWM expects to have work at Hemphill and Ferst completed by the end of the week.
- DWM expects to have work around McMillan and 9th completed today.
- To access campus from 10th Street, use State Street or Fowler Street.
- West Campus is still accessible through 6th Street.
- No further water service impacts are expected from this work, with the exception of a brief outage at 8th Street Apartments to transition to the new main.