Lab Ventilation Project
Covid-19 UPDATE: (6/17/20)
Beginning mid-June, Georgia Tech will gradually resume non-essential on-campus research activities on a limited basis. Please visit http://health.gatech.edu/coronavirus/researchers for all updates regarding campus ramp-up efforts.
We would like to say “thank you!” to all of the research teams that supported the project over the last few months. During this unpredictable period, we would not have progressed so smoothly without your cooperation in preparing your labs for construction. These efforts proved invaluable to the project’s success.
As of June 15th, ABM Building Solutions has completed construction in the UA Whitaker Building. ABM is currently completing construction in the last three active labs in the Ford ES&T. The remaining ES&T labs (both active and inactive) are scheduled to be complete no later than July 6, 2020.
Within the next few weeks, GT Facilities Management and ABM will be contacting research teams to set up training for the new controls system and post-construction interviews. These interviews will be conducted begin after July 20, 2020. QR stickers have been installed near the new controllers with links to on-demand training videos. These videos can also be found at the link below.
Again, thanks to all who remained flexible and accommodating during these unprecedented times. If you have any questions or concerns, please let us know.
Training Video Link: https://mds.multivista.com/
Town Hall Presentation
ROLE OF SENIOR FACULTY ADVISORS:
These designees will represent their units/department and shall be empowered to make decisions related to scheduling. Duties may include:
Work with the construction team on behalf of their units to best accommodate user concerns and scheduling requirements.
Facilitate vacating of the labs in a way that conforms to the required construction schedule while also supporting researcher requirements.
Help to distribute communications regarding pertinent project meetings and project updates.
- Consistent pressure and temperature controls will enable better working conditions.
- Safer, better functioning lab with consistent environmental conditions.
- Installed purge button for emergencies.
- Additional technical support on building controls.
- Reduced carbon footprint for the Institute.
- Pre-planning & Scheduling Logistics: Now through July.
- Mobilization on site anticipated to be late August to early September.
- We are bound to a strict 13-month construction period.
- Approximately 3-5 laboratories will be in construction at any given time during the 13-month period.
- Work will be concentrated on a single floor or wing of the building at a time and will move through the building, floor-by-floor.
LAB PREPARATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Lab operations will be interrupted for 7 days. During that week, construction above the ceiling, equipment commissioning and occupant training will occur.
- Hoods must be vacated. Lab benches and equipment will be physically covered by the contractor.
- Contractor can allow occasional visits to lab to check on things, if arranged for in advance.