A campus path will come right up to the front of the building where bike racks, benches and a garden reside on the southeast side. Supporting the shading and pedestrian function of the building is a cantilevered canopy that shades the building’s windowed walls from the intense, Atlanta sunshine. Exposed pipework and concrete columns remain from the building’s original structure. This ambitious example of adaptive reuse is a LEED platinum-certified building that offers students access to real-time sustainability performance information via an energy dashboard located in the lobby.
The building’s entire lighting package is equipped with photo-cells and occupancy sensors. When natural ambient light is highest, photo-cells will ramp down the artificial lighting. When natural daylight is not adequate, the artificial light is ramped up. This technique, combined with interior glazing (light shelves and high-glass windows) allows light to bounce into the middle of the building.
The building features flex space which encourages cross-disciplinary collaboration. Reconfigurable classrooms, virtual modeling software and interactive display technology will help students to collaborate. On the top floor, the building offers PhD students and visiting researchers dedicated study and work space overlooking Atlanta’s skyline.
The building renovation was made possible through a generous gift to the School of Building Construction by Mr. John Caddell (Architecture alum, 1952) and his wife Joyce Caddell.
The Caddell Building's extensive renovation resulted in sustainable design improvements and strong campus presence for the School of Building Construction.